THE HUMAN CANVAS


Part of the Channel Four "Art Shock" Series

"A provacative, troubling and occasionally unwatchable examination of a stigmatised and misunderstood world. All this and rimming too. Very, very Channel 4" - TIME OUT (READ FULL ARTICLE)


Last night's TV

Got an urge to bolt spikes to your skull or stick meat hooks in your knees? Go for it - after all, it's a great conversation starter
  • Sam Wollaston
Next time I'm at the office water cooler at the same time as someone else, I'm not going to comment on the lateness of spring this year, discuss last night's game, or ask them if they've seen what Debbie from accounts is wearing today. I'm going to remove my clothes, produce a scalpel and invite them to cut me. They may just go ahead and do it, or perhaps they'll want to do it but be concerned about what it will do to me. They might offer to cut themselves instead, or invite me to cut them. It's possible they'll ask me what my mother would think about the situation. Whatever, we'll be sharing our feelings, chewing the fat - it will just be a really ordinary chat.

I know this is a "really ordinary chat" because I've just watched ArtShock: The Human Canvas (Channel 4) and seen Kira O'Reilly. She's a performance artist, and that's exactly what she does - gets naked on stage and invites members of the audience to come and cut her. It gets quite messy, specially towards the end. She explains: "Within those pieces they [her audience] have been able to voice all those conflicting desires of: 'I want to cut you but I don't want to cut you. I might hurt you, but I really want to - I'm really fascinated.' Or: 'Can I cut myself instead?' Or: 'Will you cut me?' Or: 'What does your mother think?' It allows for a really ordinary chat to happen. And that's the work - it's that kind of social interaction."

As I said: perfectly normal, though, to be honest, Kira does look a bit funny about the eyes.
READ FULL ARTICLE ON www.guardian.co.uk